How Chinese Women Maintain Such Gorgeous Hair
Chinese women are envied for their flawless skin and healthy, shiny hair. The secret to their strong, healthy hair originated from the ancient Chinese village of Huangluo. Nicknamed “The Long Hair Village”, the Yao women are famous for their long and shiny hair. Most women in this area have hair longer than 1.4 meters!
Bright Side wants to share the secret to their Rapunzel-like hair with you. Don’t miss our useful bonus tip at the end!
Without further ado, let’s share their biggest hair secret: fermented rice water.
© Ladies & Gentlemens Hair Studio / facebook
Since ancient times, the Yao women, as well as imperial princesses of China, have used the water they cook their rice in to wash their hair. For the Yao women, their long and shiny hair is their most prized possession, symbolizing longevity, prosperity, wealth and good fortune.
The Yao women considered their hair to be sacred and allowed no one to touch or even see it except for their husbands and children. If someone from outside the family caught a glimpse, they would be forced to spend 3 years with the woman’s family as their son-in-law. This outdated law was scrapped in the late 1980s.
How to make this magic potion:
© Yami Herbals / facebook
Here is how you can make and use this magic concoction at home:
- Rinse a cup of rice to get it clean.
- Place the rice in a bowl of water for 15 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Strain the water into a container.
- Leave it at room temperature for a day or 2 until it starts to ferment and turns sour.
- Boil it and allow it to cool.
- If you wish, you may add in a few drops of tea tree, lavender or rosemary oil.
- Use this water as a natural shampoo by gently massaging it into your scalp.
- Rinse thoroughly.
How does it work?
According to studies, the fermented rice water has many benefits:
- It’s rich in antioxidants, minerals and vitamin E that improves the hair’s elasticity and has restorative properties.
- It contains inositol, a carbohydrate known to repair damaged hair. It also protects the hair from any future damage.
- The amino acids in the fermented rice water help strengthen the hairs’ roots.
Bonus: Benefits of rice water for skin
Rice water is beneficial not just for the hair but also for the skin. The vitamins, minerals and amino acids present in it work wonders for the skin. Rice water also contains ferulic acid which is a great antioxidant. The various skin related uses for rice water are:
- Facial cleanser: Soak a cotton ball in rice water and using it gently, massage your face for a couple of minutes. Let your face dry. Gently rinse your face using lukewarm water. Use every day as part of your skincare routine and you will start noticing that your skin feels softer, tighter, and more radiant.
- Acne treatment: Rice water acts as an astringent and tightens the pores present on the skin. It also helps cool the redness of an acne outbreak.
- Treatment of sunburn: Cold rice water is a great way to cool inflammations and treat sunburnt skin.
- Treats eczema: Pat your eczema affected skin using a cotton ball dipped in rice water. Continue doing this for a couple of minutes and then let it dry. The starch present in rice water is effective in easing the effects of eczema on your skin.
What are the traditional beauty secrets in your family? Share them with us in the comments below.
Preview photo credit Ladies & Gentlemens Hair Studio / facebook, Yami Herbals / facebook